IBS, diarrhea, constipation. on sennacot, laxido. CAT scan showed fecal deposit, shadow on left kidney. Possibility of cancer ?

I have IBS. diahorriah, which i have been told is due to constipation. so i am now taking sennacot and laxido to clear the gut. a cat scan ( the scan in a " tunnel") showed a lot of fecal deposit. at the same time the scan showed a shadow on my left kidney. i am also told i have to have an endoscopy again, ( due to a slight pyloric thickening which showed on the scan.) i have had one already. the specialists are meeting next week to discuss the case. could the shadow be caused by the fecal matter and not as they are immediately suggesting cancer ? or non malignant tumour.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 29 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

You have indicated that you have irritable bowel syndrome and so far you have that a workout which includes endoscopy procedures as well as imaging studies with the CAT scan.

I certainly agree with repeating the endoscopy if there was some thickening in the pylorus. This could be benign but it needs to be followed appropriately with biopsies if indicated.

Regarding the findings on the CAT scan, the shadow which was commented on in the area of the kidney could be some shadowing from gas or fecal material. Often times, this is an incidental finding and generally we repeat the CAT scan a number of months later just to make sure that is the case. Otherwise, it could be a small benign growth on the kidney. Sometimes there are cysts on the kidney which can be commented on by the radiologist as shadows. Nonetheless, a repeat CAT scan 3 to 6 months from now is appropriate.

Irritable bowel syndrome can present in many different ways. Some patients have more constipation, in some patients have more diarrhea. I think the key to managing this is maintaining a healthy diet and finding foods which are more tolerant for you. Sometimes dairy products for example cause exacerbations of your total bowel syndrome in some patients. Often times over a period of time. Patients are able to manage this quite successfully without any limitations in their normal lifestyle.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response and considerations to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert