IBS, E-hystolica in stool report, stomach pain and cramps while taking metrogyl. Do I need antibiotics?

Question
MY Name XXXXXXX XXXXXXX . I used to have stomoch probelm since 10 years my family doctor diognised as IBS however in last 2 out of three stool report fount e hystolica. i am prescred metrogyl 400 and ciprofloxacine 500 for 7 days but still e hystolica found in stool. there were stomoch pain and cramp particularly when i took metrogyl do i need any other antibiotic what is long term solution
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later
E. Histolytica infection of the gut usually needs treatment with metronidazole 750-–800 mg three times daily for 5–-10 days, or tinidazole 2 g daily for 3 days. If your stool sample is still showing persistent anaerobes, then other drugs for resistant infection are needed like- paromomycin or diloxanide furoate.
You can get these drugs prescribed from your treating physician.
Stomach cramps are a common side effect of metronidazole and these subside once the treatment is over.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.

Follow-up: IBS, E-hystolica in stool report, stomach pain and cramps while taking metrogyl. Do I need antibiotics? 3 hours later
I HAD TO GO TO TOILET FOR 3 TO 4 TIMES IN MORNING. LITTLE THIN STOOL PASSES FOR 2ND TO 4TH TIME FAMILY DOCTOR DIOGNISED AS IBS.
AND SUGGEST FOLLING MEDICIN FOR LAST 6 MOTHS
NORMAXIN 1-0-1
COLOSPA 1-0-0
PLACIDA 1-0-0

WHAT ARE THE SUGGESTED LONG TERM TREATMENT FOR IBS I SUFFER SINCE 10 YEARS. WHICH MEDICINE REQUIRE TO BE TAKE FOR HOW LONG TIME FOR IBS.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

IBS(irritable bowel syndrome) is a chronic disorder which has got no permanent treatment.

Only dietary modifications can help in long term remission.

Any food that is high in fat, insoluble fiber, caffeine, carbonation, or alcohol.
Drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea or soda,Milk products,Chocolate,Wheat, rye or barley can increase it.

You need to take symptomatic treatment from time to time including anti spasmodics and antacids.

Reduce the level of anxiety with good anti anxiety agents.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.