I slouch all the time. How to improve posture?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I find that my posture has deteriorated for the past few months and that I continuously slouch, whether I am sitting or standing. When I try and rectify my posture I thrust my stomach out instead of rectifying the posture from above the middle of the spine. How do I improve my posture?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Slouching is a chronic condition that can lead to back and neck pain, as it does not keep the spine in proper alignment and forces the neck and head to bend upward in order to look straight ahead to compensate for the hunch of the back. Poor posture often develops gradually over time, and can often be alleviated or reversed through proper exercise and a conscious effort to change posture.
It can be caused by weakening of back and shoulder muscles, kyphosis, aging, arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
You need to consult an orthopedician to find out the exact pathology so that specific treatment can be prescribed.
Most commonly, a specialized physical therapy and back and shoulder strengthening exercises are helpful in bringing the required improvement. Oral muscle relaxants may be helpful in reducing the stiffness. You can consult a proficient physiotherapist for a personalized fitness program.
In some cases, appropriate spine braces are required to correct the persistent deformity.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.