I have stinging, stabbing and biting sensation all over my body from time to time?
User rating for this question
I asked a question 3 days ago, paid my money twice, but have not received an answer. Question was:- I have a stinging, stabbing, biting sensation anywhere all over the body from time to time?
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, this is probably peripheral neuropathy Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. They are very suggestive of peripheral neuropathy. This is a disease condition where the nerves are damaged and as a result send painful sensation to the brain. They can take any form as pins, ants on the body, cold/hot sensation, pricking etc. This is mainly predominant in the hands and legs but can occur anywhere on the body. There are a number of diseases or conditions that may cause this. Some include diabetes, hypertension, vitB12 deficiency, alcohol, trauma, etc. Diagnosis is mainly through a detailed interrogation and examination. If there is any doubts as to the diagnosis, you may need to do an EMG for a closer appraisal. In a majority of cases, no cause is identified. Treatment consists mainly in using gabapentin which produces great results. This often take about 3weeks before a noticeable change can be observed. Added to these would be measures like gentle exercise, no alcohol, no smoking, etc. The best doctor to see for confirmation and treatment should be a neurologist. However, I would advice that you start with a primary care doctor and only get referred to a neurologist if he deems it necessary. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
People also viewed
- Iron tinea versicolor
- Suggest treatment to improve muscle mass and tone
- Does axona or exelon patch have glucose in them
- Will dehydration interfere with blood sugar value
- Burning sensation inside the body some times painful
- Biting sensations on body
- Im getting chills and cramps when i push to poop
- Concerta length of time in the body
- Intermittent warm feeling in foot
- Diprospan time in the body
- Infertility bloated stomach
- What are the underlying causes for positive cocaine test
- Intermittent forehead throbbing pain
- What causes coughcoldfevertirednessmalaise with body aches
- Stinging sensation over body with bugs