I have schlotzsky's ring. Feeling dizzy and light heartedness. What are the risks?

ENT Specialist
About once every few days I get a few seconds of dizzy lightheartedness and then burp like crazy for about 3-5 minutes. My heart seems to be pumping faster at the same time. It passes and I have no lasting effect till the next time. I have done this for maybe a year. Usually always in the afternoon. I have Shlotskeys ring? on my stomach and my Physician thinks the lightheaded spells are gastric related. But also said he had never heard of those symptoms have had EKG and stress tests all saysmy heart is fine
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

In the absence of normal EKG and stress test recurrent episodes of dizzy light headedness followed by burping and increased heart rate does not seem to be related serious organic heart disease. Schatzki's ring presents usually as difficulty in swallowing.

Hence I agree with your physician, that this may be related to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

I would suggest you to try the following measures and see if things improve.

1. Avoid spicy and oily food
2. Drink plenty of water
3. Avoid citrus fruits
4. Avoid alcohol and smoking (if any)
5. Take small feeds at frequent intervals and avoid taking heavy diet
6. Try to keep stress away and start some relaxation therapy
7. Take some antacid syrup thrice a day

If symptoms persist, consult a gastroenterologist. Endoscopic examination can be helpful.

Hope this answers your query. I am here for future follow ups.