I have had diarrhea for over a month now. It

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have had diarrhea for over a month now. It started when i had an abscess on my hemorrhoid and I went to a doctor and was given antibiotics. Now i have mild to medium pain in my lower right abdomen, and it just started, any thoughts
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotic associated gut flora depletion.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone very carefully through your query
Usually broad spectrum antibiotics are used to treat abcess.These antibiotic usually disrupts the good flora of gut hence causes loose stools.Therefore Diarrhoea is a common adverse effect of antibiotic treatments. Antibiotic associated diarrhoea occurs in almost 10-30% of patients either early during antibiotic therapy or up to two months after the end of the treatment.Long term indigestion and disruption of gut flora reults in mild to moderate inflammation.When peristalsis occur in mild inflammed intestines it causes pain.

I would suggest you to take a antispasmodic like Dicyclomine 10 mg twice daily for 5 days.They lower the rate of peristalysis hence would provide relief from pain.
Along with it start taking probiotic twice daily.They help to relplete the depleted gut flora.
You would need a prescription for dicyclomine.
Hope i was helpful.
Thanks!