I have been taking celebrix for osteoarthritis in my right

Question
I have been taking celebrix for osteoarthritis in my right knee. So far I haven't had any side effects
from it. Should I continue taking it?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in null

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
celecoxib possible side effects explained and some further advises

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concerns.

Celecoxib (celebrex) is an effective drug for pain and when first came in the market got very popular especially because it was thought that it does not cause gastrointestinal complications. Later it was found that actually this drug is not as safe as it was thought.

Celecoxib can actually cause severe gastrointestinal bleeding and it can not be predicted as it might cause that bleeding without warning symptoms.
Also it increases the risk of cardiovascular events (myocardial infarction or stroke) with or without previous cardiovascular risk factors.
So the major problem is that it might be causing serious complications without much warning signs.

On the other hand you do have need to have ostheoarthritis pain under control. Is it your doctor that prescribed celecoxib for you? Do you need it everyday?

You should discuss with your doctor the possible risks for side effects, especially with prolonged, regular use of celecoxib and pros and cons and how to further proceed. Sometimes some patients decide to take some other risks to help with pain especially it effects their daily activities.

I would say that taking or not the drug is in itself a decision that the patient has to take after they have a good understanding of the side effects.
Physiotherapy, weigh loss, are few other things that might help and duloxetine oral is found to help patients with knee pain.
Also local diclophenac combined with oral paracetamol might bring some relief.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply if anymore clarifications are needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD