I have been perscribed Lovan 20 and was wondering about side effects

hi There, I have been perscribed Lovan 20 and was wondering about side effects. I have never taken antidepressants before. The perscription is for hormonal changes as I am 45 and am having huge pms 2 weeks before my menstrual cycle. The recomended dose is to take one a day for two weeks and then none at all until my next cycle is due. What information can you give me regarding this drug. I don't generally take anything at except panadol or nurofen or magnesium and lyasine. thats it.
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fluoxetine Detailed Answer: Lovan is Fluoxetine. It is used by doctors worldwide for various medical conditions, PMS being one of them. As you may realize, every medication comes with a benefit/side effect profile. Doctors prescribe it when they feel the likelihood of benefits will overweigh the anticipated adverse effects. So the common side effects with Lovan are: Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea (8% to 18% ), Indigestion (6% to 10% ), Loss of appetite (3.8% to 17% ), Nausea (12% to 29% ), Dry mouth (4% to 12% ) Neurologic: Weakness (7% to 21% ), Dizziness (2% to 11% ), Insomnia (9% to 33% ), Sleepiness (5% to 17% ), Tremor (3% to 13% ) Psychiatric: Anxiety (3% to 15% ), Feeling nervous (3% to 14% ) Respiratory: Sore throat (3% to 11% ), Runny nose (16% to 23% ) Other: flu-like symptoms (3% to 12% ) And then there are uncommon but serious side effects too. Cardiovascular: Prolonged QT interval Dermatologic: Erythema multiforme (skin reaction) Endocrine metabolic: Low sodium Hematologic: Bleeding Immunologic: Anaphylactoid reaction (allergic reaction) Neurologic: Seizure (0.2% ) Psychiatric: Depression, worsening, Mania, Suicidal thoughts, Suicide Other: Serotonin syndrome A word of caution regarding these listed adverse effects. I do not typically go over them all with a given patient in front of me because it may cause unnecessary panic. I assess them to see which ones may potentially occur in the individual. Similarly, your prescribing physician should assess your individual circumstance and discuss the pros and cons , and then advise you regarding side effect profile.