I have been getting random twitching all over body. What should I do?

Nov 2013

i have been getting random twitching all over my body
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for writing to us.

Random twitchings over the muscles are also referred to as "fasciculations".

Fasciculations are often benign (not of any serious consequence) and tend to occur due to excess workload, fatigue or stress. They subside with adequate rest.

Occasionally, they can occur as a side effect of certain drugs such as neostigmine, pyridostigmine, etc.

Very rarely, fasciculations can signify a serious neurological disease such as symptoms such as severe weakness, thinning of muscles, etc.

So if your twitching do not subside over rest or recur then it is prudent to consult a neurologist for detailed evaluation and treatment.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad