I have a small red dot on my forearm which i scratched open

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
I have a small red dot on my forearm which I scratched open. I bleeds continually and will not scab.
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in to us. The small dot on your forearm might be an insect bite or an infection of the hair follicle. You should have applied antiseptic ointment and not scratched the area. Very often the skin is thin over an insect bite or infection and there is local inflammation, which when scratched will lead to bleeding. I suggest you please do not scratch any further. Clean the area with an antiseptic solution and apply a medicated dressing. Ensure that the area is kept dry with no water entry. Your wound will heal in a couple of days. You may send in a picture of your forearm if desired. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: I have a small red dot on my forearm which i scratched open 14 minutes later
yeah, it is not a bug bite. I have had these bright red dots as part of my skin. It is like a very small blood blister. I most recently noticed it had swelled up and became much more 3 dimensional. When I scratched my arm it broke the head on this tiny blister. Now I go through about 6 or seven band aids that saturate with blood until it clots enough under the bandage to stop bleeding, however, removing the band aid when showering each morning opens the small blister and the bleeding process starts all over. it never really produces a scab.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please use water proof band aid and seal wound Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing back to us. I suppose you are not keeping the band aid on the wound for enough time. Repeated pressure or changing band aid can dislodge the clot and cause further bleeding. I suggest that you apply water proof band aid which is large enough to stick to the skin surrounding the wound. Please do not allow water to enter the wound and try to protect it while showering. A scab should form in a few days time. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek