I have PTSD and severe depression and 18 years ago

Psychiatrist
Question
I have PTSD and severe depression and 18 years ago my doctor used Elavil to help my antidepressant work. I kept saying the antidepressant wasn't working but he would just up the Elavil. 17years ago I overdosed on approx.60-70 Elavil and thank God I lived. Physically I'm fine but mentally I have a hard time following through with minor complex thoughts. Are there any other side effects from the Elavil I'm not noticing (with the other stuff it's hard to keep them straight)? I still have the antidepressants stop working after a few years but am taking Topiramate (Topamax) which works so well as a mood upper that it takes my agoraphobia to kick in to realize the antidepressant quit. Thank you, XXXXXXX Rowland
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Elavil have no long term side effects

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

Excessive dose of Elavil known to cause serious complications for individual including death but there are no long term complications in survivors.

Feeling difficulty with minor complex thoughts is likely result of depression rather than Elavil effect.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.