I have Internal leg pain and severe swelling, getting breathless by walking for only about 5 steps

Hi, I am an obese woman of 44yrs who has scoliosis at c5-7 with severe degeneration.I also have scoliosis in my lumbar spine. I am being treated for severe migraines. I have had a cardiac stress test and ultrasound, and this was normal. My latest problem is I am suffering with severe internal leg pain and severe swelling . I am quite scared as I only walk about 5 steps and I am breathless. I do smoke about 20 per day, and have had a chest x ray, which was normal. What could it be? Thanks XXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: peripheral vascular disease Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX You seem to be quite young at 44 yrs to suffer this problem. Your cardiac stress test and ultrasound is normal. This makes it unlikely for heart disease to be the reason for your symptoms. Internal leg pain and severe swelling, walking for only about 5 steps and then getting breathless, along with history of smoking 20 per day - makes it highly possible for you to have a peripheral vascular disease. In my view, the blood circulation to your legs is getting sluggish, and the nerves could be dying due to lack of blood supply. This can be XXXXXXX and more than anything, can be extremely painful condition. Long standing history of smoking along with sluggish blood flow to the legs, can eventually lead to complete obstruction of blood flow. You could probably read about Thrombo angiitis obliterans or Buerger's disease. You would understand better. You would require a Doppler blood flow study of both the legs to assess the blood circulation. Complete abstinence from smoking is essential for cure, and prevention of progression of the disease. Please discuss about this possibility with your primary care doctor. One other possibility is your symptoms could be due to obesity. For this, reduction of weight is the treatment. You must do moderate physical activity daily. This is in brief about what I think might be happening in you. Let me know if you have specific queries. Regards,