I feel anxiety and panic during social meetings

I have anxiety and panic disorder, recently whenever in social settings i start to get chest pains usually over the heart or under ribs, and in the back, most of the tension is my entire left side(neck, upper back, chest). I worry these stressful situations are causing damage to my heart. I will also become short on breath too, sometimes it feels like a cramp in my stomach going to my chest, changing positions sometimes will make it better. To conclude these social settings cause me stress, and I seem to carry it in my chest, the problem is that it makes me worry about my heart too much. Male 33 non-smoker bp 130/80
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: THOSE ARE NOT GOING TO DAMAGE YOUR HEART Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX welcome to HCM. You seem to be having Social phobia and Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD). It is common to have chest pain, palpitations and giddiness (somatic symptoms) during times of anxiety. They are just because of increased heart beat. THOSE ARE NOT GOING TO DAMAGE YOUR HEART, as they are non cardiac issues. The best option you have is to practice meditation or yoga. you will certainly benifit. There are good anxiolytic drugs for your symptoms but you can use them later. At present, You may try propranalol 40 mg per day one tablet in the mornings, which will reduce somatic symptoms and lessen your chest discomfort. please post back if you have any other doubts. All the best.
Follow-up: I feel anxiety and panic during social meetings 14 minutes later
Yes, the chest sensations and back tension reduce once I leave the social setting and I'm alone. It seems like I'm super sensitive to any kind of pain on my left side and I always start thinking about my heart. I had a stress test in 2012 and it was fine, doctor told me to take baby aspirin daily , I assume having additional test would be a waste? I think once I can accept that these pains during these social settings are harmless, I will be fine. Thank you for your response
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are absolutely correct. Detailed Answer: Hi, You are absolutely correct. Now that you told your stress test is normal, i can confidently say you will be free from your trouble soon. All the best. (A 5 star rating from you will help us in further serving those in need. Thank you in advance)