I am suffering from piles. What treatment should be done?

I am suffering from piles
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later

Piles or hemorrhoids are swollen veins in the anal canal. They can swell either inside the anus or swell near the opening of the anus.

They can be caused by constipation, diarrhoea which can also place increased pressure on the anus, inadequate fiber in the diet, excess weight.

Hemorrhoids can be associated with anal itching, pain, bleeding, mucous discharge.

Treatment involves a high fiber diet- daily fruits and vegetables ( try to get at least 5 servings of fruit or vegetables a day). In addition you should use wheat or XXXXXXX products. Some persons also fiber supplements.
To prevent further aggravation of the piles you should wipe extremely gently after using the toilet, use wet wipes or damp toilet tissue.
Drink alot of water
Avoid prolonged sitting or standing, consider using a cushion if sitting for a long period of time.
Use warm salt water or plain warm water sitz baths, sit in the bath for 10 to 15 minutes twice a day.Some persons use witch XXXXXXX and other herbal medication in the sitz baths.
You can also consider using pain medication ( anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen, cataflam)
Some persons use topical steroids cream and hemorrhoidal cream. They may work for you, they do not work for everyone.

In some cases that do not respond to the above surgery is an option.

I hope this information is helpful to you , feel free to ask any additional questions