I am overweight. Tried dieting and exercises without results. Suggestions?

Aug 2012

I am 36 year old software professional with 5'11'' height and 95 Kg in weight. I have put on weight in last 10 years from 70 Kg to 95 Kg and overweight now. I tried lot to reduce by dieting and exercise but becos of lifestyle can't able to continue with dieting and exercise. Please suggest.

Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later

Thank you for the query here.
I understand that most of the people fail to be consistent in dieting and exercise.
The problem is that you think in mind that going off the track means a failure. Actually that's the life. If you happen to eat extra calories, do not find time to exercise some days it should be absolutely ok and you should spring back to the exercise and diet routine immediately. This will happen if your determination is there. But losing weight cannot happen in spite of getting advices from 100 people without any stricter involvement of yours.
First rule out any hormonal problems behind your weight gain. This is done by tests like TSH, Fasting sugar, post prandial sugar, lipid profile, AM Cortisol.
In case all these tests are normal then start exercise which will suppress your appetite. The exercise should be simplest possible- walking briskly or cycling which you can do most of the days of any season. Make sure you start slow and then go up on speed of exercise. This helps maintain your interest in being consistent. walking twice daily for 45 minutes each has best results in losing weight.
For food, start eating only salads for half of your meal time and then eat 60% of your usual food - chewing extremely slowly. Take long time for your meal so that your hunger to eat more gets suppressed. When you feel like eating sweets or deserts, eat fresh fruits. Just one bite of your favourite calorie XXXXXXX food item is sufficient to fulfill craving. Then immediately go back on dieting saying you are on diet and want to lose weight for all good purposes.
Let me know if these things work. Take care.