I am hypertensive. Feeling weak and have variable BP reading. Tested negative for HIV. Any advise?

ENT Specialist
Question
my BP has been 160 and 100, and sometimes i feel weak, i have gone several test, HIV and others but negative, what is the best advise for me? i dont think i am hypertensive as the doctor said..
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 2 hours later
Hello I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of information provided it appears that you have hypertension. The diagnosis of hypertension is on the basis of your reading of 160/100.
However I would also like to say that it is inappropriate to daignose hypertension on the basis of one reading. If the readings are abnormal despite repeated measurement of blood pressure only than we diagnose it as hypertension

Hypertension as such do not have symptoms however a feeling of weakness can be attributed to hypertension. As the complications of hypertension increases morbidity the aim of treating hypertension is to control blood pressure and avoid complications.

I would advise you to
1. Ensure that your body mass index is in normal range
2. Start low salt diet. Avoid salt in salad
3. Avoid junk food
4. Avoid fried food
6. Have a healthy diet
7. Avoid red meat
8. Exercise at ;east 15 to 20 minutes for 5 days a week
9. Ragular check up blood pressure (once a month)and blood test for lipid profile(once a year)

If the readings are still high I would advise you to consult a physician for starting some medicines. You may require some tests to rule out the treatable causes of hypertension.

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if your need more information on this

With warm regards

Ravinder Sharma

Follow-up: I am hypertensive. Feeling weak and have variable BP reading. Tested negative for HIV. Any advise? 9 hours later
What about bread and tea? does that classify to be junk too?

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 39 minutes later
Dear Sir
Thanks for a follow up of your query
There is no problem with 1 to 2 cups of tea a day. Avoid excessive intake of tea or coffee
Bread is not a junk food

I hope this answers your concerns. Do let me know if I cna help you further

with warm regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow-up: I am hypertensive. Feeling weak and have variable BP reading. Tested negative for HIV. Any advise? 9 minutes later
ok, what about achohor drinks?

Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 3 hours later
Dear Sir
Thanks for the follow up of your query
Alcohol in moderate amount -30 to 60 ml- a day for five days a weeek is not considered bad for hypertension. Infact if alcohol is taken in moderate amount it increases HDL component of lipid. HDL is considered as good cholesterol and decreases the chances of atherosclerosis (cholesterol deposits on inner lining of blood vessels).
This has been proved in quite a good number of studies.
The most important point here is that one has to stop at one drink a day.

I hope this answers your concern. Do let me know if i can help you further

with regards
Ravinder Sharma