I am having soft painless lump on lower part of left calf muscle. Should I be concerned?

Excellent

Nephrologist
Question
I have a soft painless lump on lower part of left calf muscle. Should I be concerned?
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I need to know a little more regarding the swelling in order to come to a better conclusion

1. How big is the swelling? Has it grown in size?
2. Is it soft or hard in consistency?
3. Is the skin over it normal ?
4. Does the swelling decrease in size when you contract the muscle?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

I wish you good health

Follow-up: I am having soft painless lump on lower part of left calf muscle. Should I be concerned? 4 hours later
Swelling (the lump) is an elongated shape and is, I"m guessing, about an inch in length. I just recently noticed it a few days ago; however, it may have been there longer and just went unnoticed by me. It has not grown in size since I discovered it. It is soft to the touch; the skin is normal; it does not change when the muscle is contracted. Also, the left leg seems to be a little larger than the right (could be my imagination although I do have a history of some swelling in the left foot, ankle, and leg). As best as I can tell, the lump appears to be right below a visible vein. Thank you for your time.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the detailed reply

The description given by you goes more in favour of a lipoma, which is nothing but accumulation of fat cells. It is quite common and nothing needs to be done about it most of the times.
However if it grows in size, becomes tender or the skin over it changes then please approach a general surgeon immediately.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I will be happy to get back to you

I am sorry for the late reply, I just got back from the hospital