I am having problems with my bowels. It has been

Question
I am having problems with my bowels. It has been happening for quite a while. I have to wear a pad everyday. I never know when I am going to go. sometimes I don't even know I did until I go to the bathroom. I am uncomfortable in my lower stomach. I take a lot of immodium to try to control this. I am 66 years old female and still working full time. I am tired most of the time and fall asleep often. My email is YYYY@YYYY

Posted Sat, 25 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
When did you have you last colonoscopy?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

My immediate thoughts look at a colon pathology or fecal incontinence. In both cases, you will need a proper evaluation by a gastroenterologist. In this light, it is important to know when you had your last colonoscopy. If this has been more than 5years, it would be about time to get another one.

In the interim, I will encourage that you eat more fiber and avoid drinking so much fluids containing sugars especially sodas that can cause diarrhea. I encourage you as well to always put on your pad and never hesitate to use the bathroom at the slightest urge.

In all, seek a gastroenterologist evaluation while applying the above measures.

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.