I am having herpes. Had unprotected sex during periods. What are the risks of transmitting to partner?

I just recently had unprotected sex with my boyfriend while on my period. Actually, my period didn't formally start until today, but when my boyfriend and I had sex, it was pre-period type of blood...the kind that gives you notice that you're about to start your period. I have herpes. I was not experiencing an active outbreak. My periods don't trigger any herpes outbreaks. I was just wondering if there is an increase in the risk of transmitting to my boyfriend because of the simple fact that there might have been a small amount of blood involved.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
Herpes is transmitted on a direct sexual contact. Coming in contact with blood does not further increase the chances. He is already at risk of contracting the infection.
Direct contact with mucosa is a more effective way of herpes transmission.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.