I am diabetic. Having loose stools, noticed yellow capsule looking objects in stool. What are they?

Question
I have loose stools most of the time. In my stools I noticed yellow capsule looking objects. Sometimes there are one or two sometimes more. I am a female, obese, 65yrs old with diabetes. Can you tell me what they are?
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later

The colour and consistency of stool one has depends grossly on the type of food consumed. A stool examination would be required to understand what is passed in the stools.

With the details provided, since you have an associated obesity and diabetes, my close possibility is a fat globule. As fat doesn't dissolve in water it would float in it. So if your stool / yellow looking capsule floats in water, this possibility can be confirmed.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any doubts, let me know. I will be glad to clarify.

Best Regards

Follow-up: I am diabetic. Having loose stools, noticed yellow capsule looking objects in stool. What are they? 2 hours later
They are yellow and sometimes float if not intertwined with fical matter. Could they be globs of fat perfectly formed? What would cause them to form? None of my friends have ever seen anything like it.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

If this globules float in water, it is usually a fat globule.

Fat globule is remnants of unabsorbed lipids in the feces. Undigested lipids as they pass through the intestine due to actions of intestinal movement become globular and excreted through feces. It is not concerning when it occurs only for a short while without abdominal pain or diarrhea.

It is formed due to
- Excess lipid (fat / oil) in the diet
- If there is reduced absorption of lipid through the intestine
- Orlistat - a drug used in weight reduction
- gall stones
- Loss of normal intestinal flora
- Pancreatic enzyme insufficiency and other pancreatic disorders

Hope I have answered your queries. Let me know if you need any more information.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health