I am a musician. Suffering from type 2 diabetic. Feeling stiffness in fingers and hand hurting. Concerned

About R.A. As a musician, my hands often hurt. during the night, the fingers will stiffen up, they feel as if they drawn, awaken to them burning. on awakening, I can flex the fingers and continue. I do wear a brace to stop the curling, because the hands often "go to sleep" dreadful pain occurs. my knuckles are larger. also, I have "sore" spots, here and there. Getting out of bed, I look as if I should use a cane, goes away quickly, The worst: if I squat or get down and stay there 30 seconds, it hard to get up.
ARe these potential indications of RA? I'm a type 2 diabetic, very active
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
In my opinion, your symptoms are not suggestive of rheumatoid arthritis. In RA, the pain is usually worse first thing in the morning. Also, while there is no definite way of knowing whether has someone has RA or not, patients would usually test positive when tested for rheumatoid factor or anti-CCP antibodies. At this stage, I dont think you need an evaluation for RA.
The pain and the stiffening could be due to excessive occupational use and probably diabetic neuropathy as well. I would like to know how well is your diabetes controlled and what are the average glucose levels that you have.
Awaiting your reply.