Ask a Urologist   »  

I am a healthy 63 year old female. I only

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I am a healthy 63 year old female. I only drink one cup of coffee in the morning before 8 am. Whether I drink water or not in the afternoon or evening I still go to the bathroom about 2 times a night, with a third bathroom trip that is like my alarm clock around 5:30 or so? I drank Dr Pepper on a regular basis since I was a young child, but discontinued in my early 20's. I feel like I damaged my bladder permanently with all this earlier caffeine in life?! My question is, if I quit my coffee in the morning would this help diminish my night bathroom trips? Any other thoughts? I kept a log of trips last week, they were 20-23 during the day and 2-3 a night. I would love to sleep thru the night! Any advice?? I do not want to take any Overactive Bladder medicine, I tried before and didnt work. Would rather look at lifestyle?

Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not unnatural to pass urine two times during night at this age

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted you have to wake up twice from sleep to pass urine which you think it to be abnormal .

In females after menopause as the age advances there is generalized atrophy (Shrinkage) of all Genito Urinary organs including bladder and urethra resulting into reduction in capacity of bladder and narrowing of urethra .The narrowing of urethra causes incomplete emptying of bladder resulting in to some amount of urine remain in bladder every time when you pass urine what is called as Post Void Residual urine (PVR) .This reduction in bladder capacity and PVR are the two basic factors that give rise to symptoms of frequency for urination and nocturia.

This is the natural phenomenon that every woman goes through at the this age .The only precaution one is to take is to avoid getting UTI.

I would suggest you to avoid drinking water after evening and make a routine practice to empty your bladder before going to sleep .This would help to reduce nocturnal urination to once in a night .

There are no medications that can resolve this problem permanently.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: I am a healthy 63 year old female. I only 18 minutes later
What is funny about your answer is I usually quit drinking water or any other liquid in the afternoon! However, I find their is no pattern for my drinking liquid or not in the evening, I still go 2-3 times a night, even when I quite drinking in the afternoon?!
If I saw a urologist could do they have any thing that could help or is it basically my age? What about giving up coffee, (I dont drink any other caffiene) even though I ususally just have one cup before 8 am??
Thanks for your insights,
Jamie

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Having cup of coffee in the morning can not be cause for Nocturia.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.

Having a cup of coffee at 8 A.M will not have diuretic effect in the night .However yo can stop taking coffee and observe for any change .

Day time frequency and nocturia are basically due to two reasons that I have narrated in my answer earlier .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
O.K Bye

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

Have a Good health .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: I am a healthy 63 year old female. I only 2 minutes later
Thank you!