Ask a Dentist   »  

I am a boxer. Have dark purple spot inside cheek. Can I bleed to death from a cut on cheek?

ENT Specialist
hi Doctor. I want to continue my boxing career, but my dentist noticed the dark red/purple spot on the inside of my cheek which looks like it runs down and gets lost where my cheek and gums XXXXXXX i told him, I was a boxer and he brought to my attention that it could be fatal if that vien ran to a main artery that I should be careful. Im a 23 yr old male and I have noticed this since I was 15 years old. it has stayed the same ever since. It has not grown or gone away. My big huge concern is if I receive a blow to that side of my cheek and it bleeds is it true what my dentist says could happen. or is just going to bleed and eventually it will stop? I would like to know what is it and if it is cut will I bleed to death? or is it something not to worry about because if it bleeds it will stop after a while?please give me as much info as you can. This really has me at a stop and im not able to continue my plans in life im at a standstill right now if you need more information or want me to explain more clear please let me know, thank you very much for your attention and time. God bless you.Please if it is necessary to call me do so at anytime my boss is my boxing trainer who is my brother. He will not mind at all if you call me during work. we need to know about this in order to continue boxing or not. Thanks again 0000 my name is XXXXXX.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears you have a vascular lesion involving your cheek. As your dentist has told you I will go by his opinion but at the same time I would advise you to plan for some tests and a ENT consultation. This will help in getting on to the diagnosis and with tests like angiography we can know about the feeder vessels for this lesion.
If I go be the appearance and the dentist's opinion I will keep a possibility of hemangioma of cheek. This is a fairly common benign tumour of head and neck. Treatment is possible.

Regarding your concern about your boxing career i would advise you to abstain form practice for sometime till a diagnosis is made and and you get treated for this condition.

Your letter also suggests that you have worried about this condition. I would suggest you to stay calm and if case the beeding starts it is very rare that it will be fatal. But keeping in mind the information available, I would suggest for the investigations like angiography, unltrasound and a ENT consultation before drawing any conclusion about this condition. However if i go by the behavior of this lesion (no episode of bleeding in past) it appears it will not bother you.

I hope this answers your cocnern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma