I am a 68 year old female. I struggle with

Neurologist
Question
I am a 68 year old female. I struggle with fatigue. I am 5 foot 3 and weigh 162 pounds. I take no medications, have no history of any major diseases. I am developing some minor arthritis symptoms--sore joints. I also suffer from chronic migraines. Otherwise, I am basically healthy. I seem to be losing some muscle strength as well. I exercise about 3-4 times a week, aerobic walking with my husband. I also do very easy yoga postures 3 or so times a week. I am wondering what I can do to improve my energy levels and ease my pain and fatigue. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
First you should investigate the cause.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

In order to know how to possibly deal with fatigue one should first attempt to find out the cause of fatigue. Fatigue is not a very specific symptom, meaning it can be found in the setting of many different conditions, hence management depends on the cause (if a cause can be identified). Being so nonspecific one can't pinpoint the cause based on that symptom alone as it can be found in many different settings, closer investigation is needed.

Among the most common causes of fatigue would be anemia, chronic infections, low thyroid function, rheumatological conditions like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus, sleep apnea, diabetes, liver and kidney conditions, myasthenia gravis etc, the list is really long. So if you have not taken any diagnostic steps until now you should contact your primary physician for a physical exam to search for possible signs of such conditions as well as have some screening blood tests like blood count, ESR, CRP, fibrinogen, fasting glucose, liver and kidney function, electrolyte panel, thyroid function, vitamin B12 levels, antinuclear antibodies, rheumatoid factor, XXXXXXX antibodies.
Whether other tests are needed or medications will depend on findings.