I am 85 years old. What is the effects of aging on heart and heart?

um , the effects of aging on older auldt's heart and lungs when they are 85 years old.
then what capacities have diminished their heart and lungs?
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Juhi 1 hour later
Hello dear,

Thank you for posting your query.

In a women's life menopause leads to many age related changes in the body. At 85 years, menopause has been attained and all reproductive hormone levels have reached almost nil.

Estrogen deficiency leads to decrease in HDL and rise in LDL and predisposes to atherosclerosis and heart attacks. Obese women with hypertension and previous thromboembolic history are at risk for cardiovascular accidents.

Women with atherosclerosis cannot supply enough oxygen to the heart during periods of stress or increased activity.

In the lungs, the most important change is decrease in vital capacity (volume of air exchanged during breathing). Kyphosis of spine (bending of spine) decreases the vital capacity. This decreased vital capacity may be adequate during rest but not during exercise or stress.

Another important change that occurs is in the bones. Bones begin to lose calcium and become weak and prone to fracture.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions, I'll be glad to know. Otherwise, you can rate my answer and close the discussion.

Dr. Juhi.