I am 58 years old and feeling well. Having blood pressure of 157/111. Is this ok or not. Any suggestion?

Excellent

Question
I am 58 years old have tested my own blood pressure it is 157/111 . is this ok or not . I feel very well with no probs.
Thanks
XXXXXX.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

The upper value of your blood pressure i.e. systolic BP of 157 is acceptable for your age. However, the lower value i.e. diastolic BP of 111 does not sound good.

Could you please repeat the measurement again, with rest for an hour and in supine or lying down position? Please let me know the value.

A diastolic blood pressure of 111 says that the heart is facing a problem while dilatation and is unable to contract well.

I am glad that you are healthy overall. Do you have a 2D echocardiography report by any chance? If yes, please let me know the Ejection Fraction or EF in the report.

If you do not experience a major health symptom, you may safely disregard this one time recording.

Hope this helps.

Do write back. Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: I am 58 years old and feeling well. Having blood pressure of 157/111. Is this ok or not. Any suggestion? 7 hours later
HAVE RE-TAKEN MY BLOOD PRESSURE AFTER RESTING A WHILE LAYING BACK IN MY CHAIR READING IS NOW128/90.
REGARDS XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

I am glad, now that your blood pressure seems fine. A diastolic blood pressure of 90 is fine at your age. A systolic blood pressure of 128 is also good.

I do not think you need to be evaluated further. You are doing well. Please follow the healthy lifestyle that you are following now.

I wish you good health.

If you have no further queries, please accept my answer and write a review.

Take care, XXXXXXX