I am 56 year old diabetic. Took overdosage of taxim-O 200. What should I do? Suggest some medication

I, accidentally, consumed 800mg of Taxim-O 200 rather than the daily prescribed 400mg of Taxim-O. What should I do? Does double the dosage constitute an overdose, if is so then what do I do? I am 56 years of age and a diabetic. Please advise an antidote. My urine quantity has reduced to an very small quantity.
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Taxim -O or cefexime is a very benign compound and it would generally not cause any problems even if you have taken 800mg together once.

But in some rare cases it can lead to reaction with an allergic response (since it is a penicillin group of drug) and can lead to interstitial nephritis with decrease in urine output. There is no antidote, but this will be eliminated this from the body anyway within 24 hrs to 48 hrs.

In the meantime, I would suggest the following:

1. See if there is any swelling in the legs

2. Pass urine in a mug each time and note down the amount or you can collect it for 24 hrs in a container and measure it. If urine output is less than one liter in 24 hrs you need to contact your doctor.

If urine output is falling there can be other reasons not related to your tablet overdose----

- Why was the tablet prescribed to you? Was it for urine infection? Urine infection itself can cause the urine to decrease.

- Do you also have difficulty in urine stream and flow this could indicate problem related to prostate or diabetic cystopathy?

- What is your serum creatinine level and urine routine test?

Answers to the above questions will give us an idea of your kidney function.

Overall I feel you would be fine.

Hope this helps!
Inform me subsequently should you have other queries.