I am 37 years old. Blood work done. What are the chances or heart attack or heart disease?

I'm a woman aged 37, and recently I had a blood test and scored 6% on the Framington heart test. I thought my chances of having a heart attack or having heart disease within the next 10 years then was only 6%. However, I decided to look the framington score up, and I'm confused. If a score of 10% suggests heart disease, does that mean a 6% score indicates a heart that is just over half way diseased? My question is, what exactly does my 6% score mean for my heart?
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Framingham heart score test gives idea about risk of developing a myocardial infarction (heart attack) or death from coronary disease in the next 10 years.

It is used in people aged 20 years and older without known heart disease and who do not have diabetes.

It gives category like High risk, intermediate risk, and low risk. Less than 10% is considered as low risk. You fall in this category.
Age, cigarette smoking, total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, systolic blood pressure measurement and treatment for hypertension (high blood pressure) are risk factors.

Every person has some risk low/intermediate/high.

It is all about how we manage risk factors mentioned above and take care of it.

You have just 6% score. So heart is not half way diseased but it is quiet healthy, just control the risk factors to stay away from coronary artery disease.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: I am 37 years old. Blood work done. What are the chances or heart attack or heart disease? 7 hours later

Your reply was reassuring, but I still have a question about the score. You said 6% equals 'low risk', which is fine, but is a 6% score the average score for a 37 year old woman? I'm worried 6% reflects a percentage normally seen a 50 year old. I think knowing the answer to this would really help put things into perspective. Knowledge is power...

Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 13 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

You are right. 6% score is not average for age group between 35 - 39 yrs. Score should be less than 1%.
After age of 45 yrs, 5% and above score is average.

But as per Framingham heart study, categories are made according to which you fall under low risk. You need to control modifiable risk factors like total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol, hypertension. Quit smoking if you have that habit.

So follow healthy lifestyle to stay away from heart related conditions.
I hope this information helps you. In case of any doubt feel free to revert back.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.