Can I take hidroclorotiazida along with levothiroxine

I am hypothyrodisim due a Oblation I had 10 month ago. Actualy I am taking Levothiroxine 175mcg, but I gain 20 pounds. I feel bloated and conspitated. My doctor said for my last lab. TSH,T3and T4 are in the normal range. So my question is if I can take a diuretic to lose weight or at T3 to speed my metabolisim. I forgot to mentioned that I am a figure compititor and sense I have this oblation done I have problem to lose weight. My actual weight is 145 and I always had been aroun 122-125 pounds. Please advised. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. P.V Pradeep 12 hours later

I could sense that you are looking for weight loss and you wanted to take Hydrochlorthiazide (water pill) to lose weight. Am I right? If so, I do not think it is a right idea. It is not the right way for a hypothyroid female to lose weight. I doubt if it helps and you may ever be able to succeed.

Moreover the thiazide effect will last only for 2 weeks after you stop, the most potential complication of it is hyponatremia ( low sodium state). You cannot continue it for long period.

We should find out first if your thyroid hormone status. We need the values of the latest thyroid hormone levels what ever the doctor has been saying is OK. The interpretation of thyroid status has lot of importance.

I look forward for the values.

Warm regards.