Hypertension,edema,skin rash,hydrochlorothiazide,amlodipine

My husband a white male 64 with controlled hypertension, takes Losartan 200mg once a day, Hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg once a day & Amlodipine Besylate 10 mg daily. He has edema in his lower legs and a skin rash which some have said was fungus. It is not responding to fungus over the counter medication his dr recommended. He now has it in his armpits and chest area. What is it and how do we get rid of it? Is it a drug reaction? He has been taken these drugs for years and has had a rash for years, it is getting worse and his skin is shiny, itchy and hot to the touch.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

First - regarding the edema of the legs. This can be a big problem and can be a source of skin breakdown and infections if it is chronic. I have to say that the amlodipine is notorious for causing edema of the legs and I wonder if this is the case for him. I would discuss this with his doctor to see if an alternative may be appropriate.

Now with regards to the fungus - we need to make sure his immune system is functioning normally, so a CBC blood test may help verify that. Beyond that, it may be necessary to take both an oral medication as well as use a topical cream to treat this. Some fungal infections can be quite resistant and uncomfortable as I am sure you are aware.

Lastly I think a visit to the dermatologist is in order. An expert opinion by a dermatologist may prove quite helpful in providing a solution to this issue.

I thank you again for submitting your query and hope my response has proven to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr Galamaga