Hurts to swallow, have ear pain, happens only during evening

ENT Specialist
it hurts to swallow and both of my ears are starting to hurt, this only happens late evening-night
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 3 hours later

I am Dr Ravinder Sharma Otolaryngologist from India. Based on information provided it appears you probably have a problem in your throat, which is causing pain in ear too. Common possibilities include inflammation of mucosal lining in throat (acute pharyngitis) or inflammation of tonsil (Acute tonsillitis) or inflammation of the epiglottitis (acute epiglottitis) - epiglottis separates windpipe from food pipe. Reflux of gastric contents in food pipe (esophagus) can also cause similar symptoms.

Less common cause can be a mass lesion at the back of your tongue. As the nerve supply of ear, posterior one third of tongue, posterior pharyngeal wall shares common innervations. - Disease of posterior part of tongue, tonsils, pharynx can present with pain in ear.
At the same time, another possibility is that there may be an infection in Ear with infection in throat (Acute pharyngitis with acute otitis media).

I would advise you to get an ENT consultation so that we get to know the cause of pain in ear and difficulty of swallowing. Once a cause is found, we can think of treatment.

Meanwhile, do warm saline gargling thrice daily for next few days. Keep your warm, plug your ears with cotton plugs. Drink plenty of fluids.

I hope this answers your concerns. Do let me know if you need some more information about it.

With regards
Ravinder Sharma