Hurt toe. Noticed blood clot and also odor. Using antibacterial soap and peroxide. Cure?

I hit my big toe and the toenail lifted from my skin slightly. There was a blood clot underneath my toenail that burst. Now it's kinda white and and puffy & damp underneath there. I try to keep it as dry as I can but it's kind of hard considering its under the nail. It also has an odor. I clean it with antibacterial soap and peroxide. Do I need to go into to have it checked out? or will it heal itself in time? This started about one week ago...
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 3 hours later
thanks for the query

There is definitely a superinfection of the blot clot which is not uncommon giving that blood is a XXXXXXX culture medium for bacteria. That is the reason why it is producing the odor you talked of.

Management has to be vigorous with dressing and the number of times would depend on the degree of suppuration. If its too filled with pus then dressing could be done twice a day starting with peroxide and then you antibacterial soap.

The toe nail is has a greater chance of coming out and you should elevate it if needed to effectively clean beneath less the infection will not heal and may complicate.

You could go for it to be dressed in a health centre if you are sure you can not do a thorough dressing. As for the healing, its only when the pus is completely clean that it could start healing.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help.