Hurt my hamstring and groin muscle. Did cold therapy. How to heal it properly?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Doctor,
About a month ago, I hurt my hamstring and my groin muscles while running. I did not completely stop running after that. Since past 15 days I am not running but I was doing other forms of cardio such as elliptical trainer and cycling. But the muscle has not healed completely yet. I experience pain when I try to run. I can walk and perform all other movements without any pain. It is only movement such as running or stepping on a high step (on staircase) that causes pain. I did cold therapy (with ice pack) for some time. I also am doing hot water pack whenever I feel pain. I have not visited any doctor assuming that the muscle will heal over time. Please advice how can I improve my muscle condition and how do I heal it completely.
Warm regards,
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 24 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and Thanks for posting your query.

I understand your concern and after going through your symptoms You might be having High hamstring tendinopathy.

Following exercises will help in strengthning and improving your muscle strength.

Static Hamstring Contraction
Begin this exercise in sitting with your knee bent to about 45 degrees. Press your heel into the floor tightening the back of your thigh (hamstrings). Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 10 times as hard as possible and comfortable, pain free. Perform 1 – 3 times daily provided there is no increase in symptoms.

Straight Leg Raise
Begin this exercise lying on your back with your injured leg straight and your good leg bent. Slowly lift your straight leg until you feel a mild to moderate stretch or as far as possible and comfortable without increasing symptoms. Hold for 2 seconds and then slowly lower. Repeat 10 times 1 – 3 times daily provided there is no increase in symptoms.

Beside exercise some physiotheraphy like soft tissue massage, heat/ice theraphy and gradual return to activity program is vital to hasten the healing process.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Hurt my hamstring and groin muscle. Did cold therapy. How to heal it properly? 27 minutes later
Can I continue running or should I stop exercising completely untill it heals? If I have to stop then for what duration should I stop? When can I take up running again?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

Rest is a crucial first step in treating an injury. You may be able to continue a limited running but it is essential that you modify your training routine. Try to run on flat surfaces, shorten your stride and decrease your speed until your injury has completely healed. Schedule and fill-in your non-running days with cross training.

Staying on the Road to Recovery If you're going to "run through" your injury, try the following:

Start getting massages on a regular basis.
Reduce the number of miles you run per week.
Run on a treadmill rather than the road.

If you can't run for several weeks, you can keep yourself fit by cross training. Swimming, aqua jogging, cross-country skiing and roller-blading are excellent cross training activities. The one you choose depends on your physical capabilities, access to the right environment, and the type of injury you have.

Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Good luck -- I hope things go well.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.