Hurt kid's ear while cleaning with a q tip, small amount of blood seen. Should I be concerned ?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i was trying to clean my kid ear with a q tip. i think i went too far by accident and she cried a bit and a saw a wmall amouth of blood....she said she is heraing fine and it does not hurt anymore. is there reason to be more concerned
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Considering the details you have provided there are chances of a minor eardrum injury in your child .

When a child injures an eardrum, the first symptom is usually ear pain, which can range from mild to severe and might increase for a time before suddenly decreasing.

Other symptoms of an injured eardrum include:
drainage from the ear that can be clear, pus-filled, or bloody
hearing loss that may be mild to severe
ringing or buzzing in the ear (tinnitus)
dizziness or vertigo that can cause nausea or vomiting.

Since your child does not have any such symptoms it is more likely that there is a minor abrasion or scratch rather than a perforation of the eardrum.
Even if there is a rupture , in children most traumatic perforations heal on their own without any complications . Complete healing may take about 3-4 weeks .
So as of now you need not worry and just wait for self resolution .
Meanwhile you should protect the injured ear from water and cold wind by using cotton ear plugs while bathing and outdoors.

If your child develops any of the above mentioned symptoms then you need to consult an Ear nose throat surgeon for a thorough evaluation and management which might include oral antibiotic & ear drops.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.