How would a physician code a prescription medical intervention on CVA prevention?

A physician is participating in a research project on CVA prevention. How would a physician code a prescription medical intervention?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
I read your question with diligence

Here drugs are tried/researched for not the primary indication for which these are ordinarily prescribed. Usually these drugs are indicated for other illnesses and prescribed for the same.

Ideally, the researchers have to start from one phase below the phase the drug has already achieved in its primary indication. It is conducted as double blind placebo controlled trial. Drug tablets are shaped different from those of primary indication prescription drug. These are packaged in similar (between placebo and drug) but unlike the packages for prescription drug. The packages and individual strip of wrapper is bar coded. The code can only be broken by drug trial safety monitoring board. Neither the patient or the physician are aware whether in a given case placebo or drug is given. A proper informed consent is taken. Side effects of prescription drug are explained. The physician notes some pre set details about illness and gives the drug after taking the consent that patient may receive placebo or drug. The data is fed into computer which comes out with a bar code. The dispensing Nurse is also not aware of the code. Thereby, drug or placebo is given to the patient.

I hope the answer is useful. Otherwise ask a followup query I will clarify the points in greater detail which want. Pleasure interacting with you.

Dr Anil Grover, Cardiologist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW