Ask a Dentist   »  

How to treat nerve impingement and tendonitis ?

Hi: I was helping my husband sand our parquette floor and was leaning on my left hand....a lot. For the last 2 weeks I have had trouble holding anything like my fork for eating an even a glass, ie. no strength in my fingers and pinky and ring finger are numb.. When I look at the side of my hand (away from the thumb),next to the base of the pinky, the flesh is indented....sort of drawn in. What do I have to do to rectify the problem. I have a Tens unit, but don't know where to place it. Would this help????Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later

The excessive stress imposed on your left arm has most likely caused a tear at the origin of flexor muscle tendons more commonly known as tennis elbow.

The TENS unit you have got is not likely to help you much as your problem is not due to nerve injury. It is the injury of tendons which has caused a loss of strength.

Best thing is to give absolute rest to your forearm including hand for at least two weeks.
Do not try to hold anything.
Have pain killers and oral muscle relaxants for relief.
Hot fomentation will also help you.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: How to treat nerve impingement and tendonitis ? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. Tayal, I never have felt any pain in my hand, during, after or even that night. I never felt a pull or tear when I was working on the floor. What it feels like, is simular to when I a pinched a nerve in my neck. Is this a possibility and is there an exercise to release the pinch if thats possible. Do I need to take the pain killers (which one) or should I just take a muscle relaxant? Could you recommend the best one to take? How often should I apply heat to my hand and for how long? Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If you do not have any pain then only a muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside will be helpful. You may consider taking it after consulting your doctor. The numbness in the fingers can be due to nerve impingement but the loss of muscle strength is most likely due to tendon problem.

For hot fomentation, apply bearable heat both to your hand as well as to your elbow from where all the nerves and tendons pass to the hand for 5-7 minutes thrice daily.