How to treat dark patches under finger nails ?

I have dark patches under my finger nails,which i have been told are protein deposits. I have had them since childhood.It only dissappears during pregnancy. It is there on the toes as well.I also have PCOD.What can i do get rid of them? My daughter also developed this after the age of 4
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 55 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Dark patches under nails can be due to various causes as Psoriasis,Vitamin or protein deficiency,Iron deficiency,fungal infection etc.Since you are having them since childhood and there are no other symptoms associated it might be an inherited condition and so it has been passed to your daughter even.If it had been some disorder you would have some other symptoms as well.

Give your daughter healthy,nutritious diet comprising of calcium,iron,vitamins,proteins.

Avoid nail biting.

Avoid applying nail polish.

It needs a proper evaluation to rule out the exact cause.Kindly visit a Dermatologist for examination.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer your follow up query.