How to treat an underarm abscess post rupture causing a large lump ?

hi there, I have an abscess under my right arm pit. I went to the doctor he prescribed anti bioctics and said to go to th emergency room 2 days later. I went to the ER and whilst I was waiting the thing burst. I saw the doctor any way who advised that I should squeeze it and keep taking the drugs. And should it return or the redness get any bigger I should return. I have drained it all I can but there still seems to be a large hard lump. There is no more pain but the redness does seems to be getting bigger? I have had many abscesses in my time, do I need to get this one looked at again or is it on the mend. Will the larger lump eventually drain?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 49 minutes later

Thanks for your Query.

Any Abscess in any part of the body should be properly drained(surgically) and purpose of draining is to break the many small pockets inside a single abscess which prevents recurrence and helps in healing along with antibiotics.

You should not attempt draining the abscess since the pus inside wont be drain properly and you are paving the way for spread of infection from these manouveres and i think the same thing is happening in your case.

Any abscess in any part you should seek a doctor help.Since you feel that lump is still larger and the redness is spreading ,you should seek a doctor help for this.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.