How to treat a sharp pain in eye when closed due to punch while playing ?

My son, 11, got punched in the eye by his younger brother during rough play this afternoon. At bedtime 5 hours later, he is complaining of sharp pain when he closes his eye...I am concerned.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Radhika 51 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I have gone through your query, and I would suggest you to observe whether your son has any swelling of the eye, blurring of vision, double vision.

You can apply ice pack on the eye for 10 to 15 min and take Tab.Advil(Ibruprofen- available over the counter) 100 mg thrice a day for 3 days for the pain.

But if there is any loss of consciousness, dizziness, bleeding from the eye and injury to other parts of the face you should immediately consult an Ophthalmologist for complete examination and evaluation.

Hope my answer is adequate, I am available for follow up should you have any more concerns.