How to treat a problem of speech disorder in a person when hearing is normal?

Nov 2013

Hello Sir, Good Morning. my brother having a problem with speech since child hood. he is not complete dumb but also not been able to speak. his age is 27 yrs. he can as normal as we are and don't have problem with listening or understanding any thing. kindly guide me what doctor we need to concern.
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. It is unfortunate that your brother is not able to speak properly since childhood. He needs to be evaluated by ENT as well as a neurologist doctor. If his hearing is normal, then, the problem would be related to brain. There is an area of brain (left frontal lobe in right handed people), which is involved in speech. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Follow-up: How to treat a problem of speech disorder in a person when hearing is normal? 3 hours later
Sir, Thanks for the reply. He is left handed . can you suggest very good ENT & Neurology doctor where i can consult him. presently i am based at Ahmadabad. in past what ever doctor we concern before 10 yrs everybody is with same opinion that every thing is normal not his part but there will be some problem with tong. it is shorter than Normal. so as he will grow he will be able to speak. so on that part what do u suggest. regards XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Thank you for providing more information. In a left-handed person, the right side of brain may be involved in speech. As of now, you can consult an ENT doctor to start with. If he does not find a problem, then, you can consult a neurologist. You can visit XXXXXXX or Apollo Hospital, in Ahmedabad. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)