How to tackle habit of lying in a child?

I have a eight year old who lies about health issues like stomach pain , body aches to get my attention. How can I tackle this issue. I have explained to her the consequence when there is an actual pain I might not believe her. I try my very best to give the attention . BUut with a 3 month old baby my hand are tied too.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in ADHD
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Relax,there is nothing to worry. This is very commonly seen in children. I suggest you to: - find any precipitating factor like going to school as something in school could be annoying her. or sibling rivalry as addition of new member to family brings sence of insecurity in children -children develop this behaviour to seek attention. -try to ignore her complaint. -do not scold as this will potentiate her behaviour. -try to divert her attention to some comstructive activity.. -do positive reinforcement that is reward her like take her out,play with her,tell her stories at bedtime,give her favourite toy or food. Try this for sometime. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if you have any further question. Wishing your child good health. God bless.. .