How to reduce weight post pregnancy?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Hi Dr, I delivered my son on XXXXXXX 26. And i am currently weighing 76 kgs and is planning to lose weight. My height is 5'3". Please let me know if following a diet and work out strategy is advisable as i am nursing and had a c section. Thanks in advance.
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Diet Plans
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: dieting for weight loss not advised Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Congratulations and Thank you for using healthcare magic. As you have mentioned that you are nursing a one month old baby, a diet plan or program to loose weight would not be recommended at present. Also, because of the C-section the exercises that you may do are limited. Since you will be nursing the baby for several months from now, it is very important to maintain a proper food intake to ensure that the quality and quantity of milk is sufficiently good to keep the baby healthy and disease free. Also, your body would require extra nourishment to rebuilt its own stores. I would recommend that you take a high protein diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables and salads. keeping yourself hydrated is also a very important task. take tender coconut water, lemon juice, soups, buttermilk, milk, juices etc. everyday. Avoid spicy and heavy foods and maintain the meal timings. You may speak to your doctor to advise you on the exercises that you can do at present. you may however start with light walk and deep breathing exercises. You may start a proper weight loss diet when the baby will be 5 -6 months old. Please feel free to contact us for any further help. Meenakshi