How to reduce swelling and pain after being hit by wrist?

i smoke meth don't chastise me please. however i let a friend hit me intravenously with 30cc and she missed. she used my left inner wrist and its red swollen and warm to the touch not to mention sore as hell and hurts to move it and i didn't even get any effect. how long will this last? is there anything i can do to reduce the swelling and pain? don't worry about me ever getting curious about needles again its not gonna happen...lesson learned.
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: 5-7days Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks so much for this query. i am so sorry to hear about what happened to you. For sure you must have first hand experienced what the possible consequences of manipulating the needles by unqualified individuals are not forgetting the possible risk of needle related infections like HIV, hepatitis B, etc. This swelling would normally regress within 5-7days unless there is a complication like an abscess, cellulitis, phlebitis, etc sets in. Watch out for red flags like increasing area of swelling, redness, impression of fluid collection or drainage, increasing pain intensity and fevers which will mandate a consultation for possible complications like abscess, cellulitis, phlebitis etc that may require antibiotics and possible surgical management.. For now, rest, ice packs, Tylenol and Ibuprofen would help keep the symptoms controlled. If nothing wrong goes on, symptoms would normally regress and completely disappear within a week. For how long has this been going on already? If this has already lasted more than 48hours, please seek medical consultation right away. I am sure you have learned a bitter lesson. Once bitten, twice shy. I hope you find this useful and addresses your query full. Thank you for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.