How to reduce sugar level and is there an alernative to Gemer?

Hi, I have been a diabetic since 2009. I have been having a good control over the past years, however in the recent 5-6 months my sugar level has gone up to 250 -270 post meal. Although I do regular exercise (in fact I regularly do brisk walking up-to 6-7 KM on treadmills and also use the cross trainer regularly for min 45 mins). Physically I do not see much difference in terms my stamina, I still drink water as a normal person. I have been using Gemer - I 1mg for the last 3 years (once a day) however, I do not think it is helping me off late. I would want to change this tablet to something more effective. I do not have blood pressure or any other issue. I am 6 feet tall, and about 86 KG. But I am not a fat guy. I used to smoke more earlier, however I have reduced it to about 3-4 XXXXXXX in a day in the last 6-7 months. I am a non veg, but do not take non veg everyday (1-2 times a week max). I take wheat from Monday - Friday and take rice one time during weekends. 1. Could you please let me know what else I do to reduce the sugar level. 2. Please advice a replacement of Gemer - I. Regards, XXXXXXX ph: +91-0000
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Strict Diabetic Diet and weight reduction Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query and glad to know that you are exercising and taking your medicines regularly. You have mentioned that: You are diabetic since 2009. You are taking GEMER-1 for last 3 years. For last 5-6 months you have High Postprandial sugar level between 250-270. Answers to your query: 1. To reduce sugar level, You have to follow a strict Diabetic diet. Dietitians may help you out as per your preference of meals. Reduce some weight. Increasing dose of your ongoing medicine. 2. As Gemer-1 is not responding well, its dose can be increased. Then after few days of monitoring your sugar level, if no change, Pioglitazone can be added to it. Tri glynase can be started in place of it but dose only be adjusted after checking the sugar levels and some investigations. You should consult a local diabetologist for clinical examination and accurate dosing of medicine. After monitoring fasting and post meal sugar level for few weeks, actual dose can be continued. Doctor should be consulted every 3-6 months for level of sugar control and any complication of diabetes. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.