How to recover from diffuse disc bulges, thecal sac and mild narrowing of neural foramina?

Spine Surgeon
Question
I am suffering from the following disorders of spine - Collapse of D12 Vertebral body, diffuse disc bulges, thecal sac and mild narrowing of neural foramina. Please suggest how long it will take to recover from the same and the necessary precautions I need to take. The accident happened on 13th Feb 2013 and the MRI Report is of 7th March 2013. There has not been much improvement in the back pain since then. Please provide a detailed report of your study.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 48 minutes later
Thank you for sharing your problem.

I understand you have a vertebral body fracture at D12 due to an accident.

I have seen the MRI images and report and this fracture is stable and would most likely heal well with conservative treatment.

It would be better to get the bone density of your spine estimated by DEXA scan and treat underlying osteoporosis if any.
I hope you are on calcium and vitamin D supplementation currently.

The pain would come down usually by 6-12 weeks. Pain can come down with medicines and spinal brace. If the pain is very significant even after 6 weeks, one can go for vertebroplasty a procedure where the vertebral body is injected with bone cement as a day care procedure.
I hope I have clarified your question and please feel free to ask me any doubts.

Thank you.

Dr Krishna XXXXXXX

Follow-up: How to recover from diffuse disc bulges, thecal sac and mild narrowing of neural foramina? 39 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. I have few questions as below:
1. I am on Calcium and Vitamin C supplementation. Should I go for Vitamin D supplementation as well ?
2. I have been using trailer spinal brace while walking and sitting for short durations. I have been also using air cushion tube while sitting. Can you tell me whether I should be walking or sitting as the pain gets increased if I do so for 15-30 min. Or I should be be on complete bed rest. It's been already 5 weeks.
3. Since I am diabetic, will that increase the healing time ?
4. Can I apply hot water in the affected areas ?
5. Is Vertebroplasty being done through operation and how much it normally costs?

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 40 minutes later
Welcome back,

I am attaching the answers with reference to your queries

1. Should I go for Vitamin D supplementation as well ? - Yes, you need vitamin D as well. Discuss with your treating doctor and get them prescribed.

- Turning , walking and other activitiestc would worsen the pain as the fracture has not healed. So you need bed rest with walking just for toilet purpose

3. Since I am diabetic, will that increase the healing time ? No, diabetes may not influence healing process in this case.

4. Can I apply hot water in the affected areas ? - Yes, you can try that.

It is a keyhole/pinhole surgery. It can be done under local anaesthesia or under general anaesthesia depending on patient's co-operation .It costs approximately Rs 15,000 to 20,000 INR.

Thanks once again.

Dr XXXXXXX
Spine Surgeon

Follow-up: How to recover from diffuse disc bulges, thecal sac and mild narrowing of neural foramina? 3 hours later
Thanks for your reply.

I just verified that the tablets which I were taking has Calcium and Vitamin D. If there is not much relief after 6 weeks, should I continue with this supplement, since the treating doctor here says that there is no need after 6 weeks. Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 7 minutes later

You must continue with calcium and vitamin D as you have sustained the fracture for maintaining good amount of calcium and vitamin D in the bones for 3-6months

Thank you