How to quit alcohol completely? Find it tough.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been trying to quit and succeeded mildly couple of times. As much as I want to go cold XXXXXXX it has been tough. any suggestions ?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later

Alcohol addiction is a social evil, that causes a lot of strain on the family involved and results in disruption of lives of many associated.

I understand that it is a very difficult situation for you.

Quitting this habit is not easy, as it seems, but is also NOT IMPOSSIBLE. You will need lots of help from your family to get through this situation.
The decision to come out of the habit of drinking is very good.

Stopping drinking is not a matter of willpower. Alcoholism is a disease. Drinking alcoholically is but a symptom of a deeper underlying problem that an alcoholic must face up to in order to recover. Without learning what that problem is, trying to stay away from a drink is known as “white knuckle sobriety”. It isn’t very long before the alcoholic has to drink again.

FOR THE ALCOHOLIC THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CUTTING DOWN, binge or periodic drinking, drinking only on weekends, changing what they drink, smoking pot or taking other mind altering drugs or even switching to “near beer” with 0.05% alcohol. For the alcoholic nothing will work short of total and complete abstinence from any thing that contains alcohol or other mind-altering substances (drugs).

You will definitely need medical assistance to get rid of the habit. Trying to wean it out slowly does not help and in the long term may not be productive.
You might consult a deaddiction centre - where under medical supervision you can undergo a detoxification program as well as Behavior counselling.

Detoxification programmes help a person who is dependent on alcohol to cease use in a way that minimizes the symptoms of withdrawal and the risk of complications, sometimes using a prescribed medication.

Counselling and psychotherapy form integral parts of most forms of treatment. They aim at initiating and maintaining behavioural and lifestyle changes, and help to control urges to use alcohol.
It uses a variety of methodologies and techniques, including motivational interventions, cognitive-behavioral approaches (social skills training, stress management, anger management), relapse prevention, provision of incentives, community reinforcement therapies

I hope this helps.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.