Ask a Dentist   »  

How to protect teeth from acid corrosion caused by acid reflux in throat and mouth?

Hi, I have had acid reflux in my throat and mouth (LPR) for about 5 months.I had one sensitive tooth that had two root canals but was still sensitive.Before this LPR issue the tooth was holding on pretty good but now the dull pain is coming back.Are there things i can do to protect my teeth from acid corrosion outside brushing my teeth twice a day?I am already on double dose of ppi's for the stomach acid. Thx. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Requires to be restored(filled) Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Acid reflux definitely causes erosion and hence sensitivity.Upon prolonged exposure it also causes cavities(cracks in enamel due to acid),thus decay and pain. you can do following measures to minimize sensitivity and decay due to erosion. My patients have followed and have given them good results.Please try them. 1.First of all, be sure that the tooth in which root canal has been done cannot cause further sensitivity.The reason being that there are no nerves left in the root to cause any reaction like pain or sensitivity. Therefore please check with your dentist,for closer examination by taking a radio graph.This will detect if there is any lesion developed at the root. 2.Secondly please take a bigger x ray called OPG (Oral pantograph)which will reflect overall condition of all the teeth which are getting affected by acid reflux. Then you can get them restored(Filled) by using composite restoration,which is a tooth colored material. 3.After restoration you will be problem free,but please keep a closer watch and if you feel any time any filling has fallen off then please do no ignore and get it restored.This will help in longer run. 4.Last but not the least, at home please use tooth paste containing sodium and potassium nitrate.This helps further to reduce sensitivity. Hope I have given you detail answer.For any further doubts please let me know. Thanks. Take care.
Follow-up: How to protect teeth from acid corrosion caused by acid reflux in throat and mouth? 2 days later
Thanks doctor. 1)For some reason the sensitive tooth had 2 root canals (one regular and one from the gums by specialist) but still stayed with some sensitivity.My dentist does not recommend more root canals,next step is a bridge but very expensive.The tooth was doing ok before the acid reflux came further up. 2)what do you mean by having tooths restored (filled)?Is this like multiple normal/standard fillings or just restoring the outside part? I see my dentist tomorrow to discuss this.i hope i don't have to do multiple fillings. Ciao. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Requires restoration Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. In answer to your first query,your dentist has advised you in right direction by suggesting you a bridge but you can wait for some time for this treatment. According to me, if sensitivity is the only problem then it is better to get all teeth examined and get them restored(filled). The restorations which I am taking about are very superficial ones as a protective layer.For such fillings there is no need to dig or drill the teeth,just placing a protective layer to prevent acid from entering into teeth and causing further erosion to teeth.According to me erosion of teeth surface appears to be the main cause of sensitivity in your case. Presently I would like to know your dentist's opinion, upon upon clinical evaluation,so that I can suggest you exactly if you require multiple fillings or not. It would be nice if you can attach few images here so that I can suggest better in this regard. please let me know for further doubts. Thanks. Take care.