How to improve sperm count and motility?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

I am married 7 years my sperm count is very low (35 Million) and active motility 20% , Non motility 80% , Sluggish 25% . How to improve my sperm count and motility please help me .

Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

It is not unusual for men to think they have a low sperm count when in fact everything is fine.

Several tests need to be done by expert labs. I hope that you've been examined by a specialist to make sure you have no physical abnormalities (eg varicose veins in the scrotum) that need correcting.

Sadly, medicine has not come up with any brilliant ways of dramatically improving the sperm count.

Various drugs have been tried, but they haven't been very effective.

Zinc is a well-known 'alternative' remedy that certainly won't do you any harm.

Avoiding stress is fine, but again there's no real evidence that it will increase your count.

The best thing is:-

To keep your testicles as cool as is reasonably possible.
Don't wear tight underpants.
Don't sit for a long time in hot places, like car seats for example.
If you and your partner are hoping for a baby, do make sure that you make love to her at the optimum time of the month for her to conceive.
Lose any excess weight, which tends to cause testosterone/oestrogen imbalances
Make love in the early morning or afternoon. Sperm levels are often highest in the mornings.
Diet that's low in fat, and high in protein, vegetables, and whole grains is good for your health and for your sperm. Avoid bitter, astringent and spicy foods. Reduce caffeine intake.

If there are no underlying medical problems ,the production of sperm in the testes takes 8 to 12 weeks (many sources estimate 12 weeks i.e 3 months), and your body may take many months to improve if you are making lifestyle and dietary changes. Therefore, you need to be patient. It takes time to improve sperm count and improve sperm motility.

If all else fails, you could consider artificial insemination using your own sperm.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.