How to handle low BP for a forty-year-old?

How to handle low bp for a 40 yrs old male?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 37 minutes later

Hypotension (low blood pressure) can be common in some individuals. It isn't concerning if this is the case. Such individuals are able to lead a normal life without any symptoms. And such individuals do not need any medical intervention.

However it needs medical attention if low blood pressure is found in an individual who had previously normal blood pressures. A detailed clinical examination at the earliest is entailed to rule out various causes of hypotension.

Answers to some of my questions can help me think of a close possible cause of low blood pressure. It would help me if you could answer them.

1. What is his blood pressure?
2. Is the blood pressure recorded using sphygmomanometer at a clinician's office?
3. Is hypotension persisting or was it a paroxysmal episode that has improved now?
4. Are there any symptoms of hypotension? If yes, could you briefly explain those symptoms?
5. Is he on any medication?
6. Does he have any past medical illness? - Diabetes, high blood pressure, heart illness and so on

I would be able to answer your query more specifically upon receiving answers to the above questions.

Awaiting your reply.