How to get rid of head lice?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi.....I am having head lice from last 2 years tried everything but cannot get rid of it. .please suggest something through which it can be removed in one day
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 4 hours later
Brief Answer: First try malathion 0.5% then oral ivermectin Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your query; for effective elimination of head lice I personally suggests 1. Combing two times a day. 2. Treat all family members that are also infested at a time. 3. Malathion (Ovide) 0.5% as a first-line agent for the treatment of head lice. It is a combination drug and is mixed with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and terpineol (a naturally occurring tea tree oil extract). If above treatment fails then go for the oral ivermectin tablet because in resistant head lice infestations, oral ivermectin is better than malathion. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Follow-up: How to get rid of head lice? 56 minutes later
with oral invermectin can I get rid of nits also

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Also get rid of nits Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your query; by using oral ivermectin you may also get rid from the nits but first step is malathion. Thanks

Follow-up: How to get rid of head lice? 12 hours later
please let me know the whole steps for using it...and is it compulsory to use malathion first.and can I buy these medicine without prescription. ..

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Better to consult your doctor Detailed Answer: Hi Mam, I have gone through your follow up query;for whole steps of using medicine and for prescription better to consult your doctor. It would be unethical to prescribe you scheduled drugs without having a chance to do a thorough physical examination. I am sorry about it. Thanks